Owl Cake Tutorial

If I had to choose a favorite cake that I make, it would be a toss up between the monster cake (tutorial here) and this owl cake. Most of the time I make this cake for little 1 year olds to smash. But this week I got to make this owl cake for our school secretary.
{Intercom beep} “Mrs. Ferrie?”
“Yes?”
“Can I please get an absent slip?”
“Oh, oh…yes! Right away!”
That is the conversation that I get to have with her every day! Isn’t she lucky?
(Okay, so it’s not every day but it must feel like it for her!)
Terri is like an angel at our school! She not only puts up with mine, and all the other staff’s, procrastination and forgotten deadlines. But she reminds us with a smile on her face, even after the third or fourth reminder. She keeps everything ship shape and running smoothly. While running the whole school and keeping me on my toes, she also plays school nurse to puking and upset kids. Her job is busy. Her job is never ceasing. Her job is a thousand jobs in one. I think she needs a hug!
But instead of giving her hug for her birthday this year, I decided to give her something that she mentioned liking a few months ago. An owl cake!
Owl Cake
If you swing by the office at school, you will quickly notice a very strong, but well done, owl theme going on. She has cute little owls all over the place, even on the sheets for the sick bed that’s set up in her office.
Since I’ve been wanting to write up a little owl tutorial for awhile, I stole the chance to kill two birds with one stone. Terri got a cake and I got to take pictures of the process.
Owl Cake Tutorial

What you will need:

• 2 six inch round cake layers
  • 1 half of a ball cake layer
  • 2 cups of chocolate frosting {Like my Whipped Buttercream} or white coloured icing
  • 8 inch foil cake board or cake platter
  • 1A round decorator’s tip
  • decorator bag
  • A few balls of coloured fondant
  • Round cutters – 1 1/2 inch, 2 inch, 3/4 inch (or base of 1A tip)
1. Start by baking your cakes.

2. Stack the layers with your icing in between and give the cakes a crumb coat. It’s doesn’t have to be super pretty. It’s getting covered up anyway! Place it in the fridge to set up the icing.
3. While the cake is chillin’ in the fridge, colour the fondant you would like for the belly of the owl. I used some chocolate fondant that I just lightened up by adding pieces of white to each ball. You can also colour some yellow and black fondant at this time.
4. Roll out your balls and cut out the circles using the 1 1/2 inch cutter. You will need 5 dark, 4 1/2 medium/dark, 4 medium/light, 3 light. Start on the bottom with the darkest colour if you want an ombre look but you can also just randomly place them on the cake like I did for the more colourful owls in the picture at the top!

6. Once your belly feathers are in place, you are ready to frost the rest of the bird. Place your 1A round tip in the bottom of your decorator bag and add your frosting of choice. I’m using Whipped Chocolate Buttercream.

Start by piping dots all around the bottom of the cake.

Take your decorators spatula and press into the ball and swipe up.

Make your way around the whole cake.

Add a row of dots above the first row and do the same thing. Continue this row by row until you get to the top.

Next we need to make the eyes and beek. Take some golden yellow fondant and create a little round cone by shaping with your hands. Then use a 2 inch circle cutter to cut the base of the eye, 1 1/2 inch to cut the black eyeball and the top of a 2A/1A tip for the white reflection spot. You can also roll 6 small balls for the claws of the bird!

Place the eyes on first, putting them close together. Then using a toothpick inserted in the beak, place it between the eyes. Place the yellow balls in sets of three at the bottom of the cake for the feet.

Cut out two triangles of contrasting colours for ears and place them ontop of the cake to the sides.

To finish it off, I added a little bow that I made by pressing two round triangles between a small ball of fondant.

buttercream owl cake

There you go: a pretty little owl. Perfect for any owl enthusiast!

easy to make owl cake

What do you think? What’s your favorite cake to make? Do you like a monster or an owl better?

Look through my gallery of pictures above and let me know what tutorial you would like me to tackle next!

Also, local followers, don’t forget to get your cake orders in for a Mother’s Day cake that I have on sale and don’t forget to enter the Mother’s Day Giveway that Greenway Photography and I are putting on!

Have a happy week!

Love,
Kat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

46 comments

1. Debbie says:

I LOVE this! I may have try to attempt this for Emma's birthday in May. Where do you get all your cutters? And how do you make your fondant? As you can tell I'm very new to all this :)

• KathrynJason Ferrie says:

You can find cutters almost anywhere. The dollar store has a reall nice set for cheap right now. I also buy my fondant from bulk barn but you can easily make some marshmallow fondant. It's just marshmallows moistened with water, melted and them kneaded with a whole bunch of sugar. Just google marshmallow fondant. :)

• jkferrie@shaw.ca says:

I’m sure you could use the same technique. That would look really pretty. The middle ‘feathers’ would start underneath the owl which could be really neat. I’d love to see what it looks like as a sphere!

2. Karen says:

What do you use for the round cake at the top? It’s there an actual pan that shape our do you use a bowl? If you use a bowl how do you know how much batter to put in?

3. Ellie says:

Is it possible to use something else than fondant ? Honestly, I hate that thing, I find it really disgusting but this cake is sooooo cute (plus, it doesn’t look impossible to make !) that I’d like to do it with something else than fondant.

• Kathryn Ferrie says:

You can just do the same technique as the feathers around the owl, but use a different colour instead for the belly. The eyes you can do with buttercream too but the ears may be tricky.
      Just buy a little fondant. If you are making it for kids, the kids will devour the fondant, and you, the adult, can enjoy the buttercream. 😉
      I hope that helps!

4. Brittany says:

Super cute! I love baking cakes &this adorable creation is perfect for my daughters birthday party this Saturday! I love a challenge& this one looks real fun. Thanks for the cute idea! Its a gorgeous cake!

5. Avalon says:

I’m so curious to know how you cut this in order to serve it? Might sound like a silly question, but I want to make this for my daughter’s 1st birthday but can’t get my head around how I’d serve it to guests. If I cut from the top right down to the bottom each person will have a giant slice. Just interested to know how you did it!

6. melissa says:

Where do you get the round pan for the top of the owl? Ive been searching stores high and low and seem to find only soccer ball pans and pans 4″ round, no 6″.. i want to make 3 of them for my baby shower in april…

7. Chayesteh Azadegan says:

Attempted this cake this weekend for my nieces 3rd birthday and with your help it came out very well!
    thanks!
    everyone enjoyed it!
    love Chay

8. Alice says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am making it for my daughter’s 3rd Birthday. Where do you keep the cake after it’s complete if I make it today for tomorrow? Taking there is foundant on it, I can’t place it in the fridge?

Alice recently posted…Another New BeginningMy Profile

• Kathryn Ferrie says:

Hi Alice,
      The cake will be fine on the countertop unless you put some kind of perishable filling in the center. If you want to put it in the fridge, it will be alright. Just make sure you let it come to room temperature however you covered and put it in the fridge (ex. in the box) and don’t touch it if it looks like its sweating. That will go away. Just don’t put it in anything airtight or plastic. The fondant needs to breath or else it will wilt. I hope that helps and I hope the cake turns out well!

9. Eva says:

Hey! I’m planning on making this today for a friend, but I don’t have time to go and buy or look for the ball pan. Could I use a regular oven proof bowl with a round(ish) bottom?

10. sheri says:

I love your mini raiders cake and the owl too. Being a novice,thats a understated name I do not have anytime to make a mistake in making this cake for my “daughter” in-law who has lost both her parents within a month and is very sick herself. so maybe in the future I will try some of your designs but for now all I can do is admire.ADMIRE ADMIRE ADMIRE…

11. sheri says:

YOUR CAKES ARE BEAUTIFUL BUT FOR ME I AM NOT READY TO ATTEMPT.BUT I WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW YOU AND ADMIRE YOUR WORK. I ABSOLUTELY ENJOYED THE MINI RAIDERS AND OWL CAKES.

12. Courtney says:

Thank you for this awesome tutorial. I have just made this for my daughters first birthday and am so very happy with the outcome. If I could post a picture on here I would!

13. Christy says:

Thank you for your wonderful step-by-step instructions. I’ve never made a “decorated” cake before, and this came out beautifully!!! My 5-year-old wanted an owl cake for her bday party and this was perfect!!!